Argyle Public Library History
The Argyle Public Library has been a cornerstone of the community since 1881. This timeline traces the library’s story from the founding of America’s first lending library through Argyle’s own beginnings in a drug store back room, across more than a century of community service, and into an active present-day effort to build a fully accessible permanent home.
Information compiled from: Pecatonica Leader/Blade archives, WI DPI Annual reports, Argyle Library board minutes, Second to None by Dennis G. Dillon, written accounts by Minnie Hawley, and libraryhistorybuff.com.
Wisconsin’s Library Roots (1731–1878)

1731 — The First Lending Library
The Library Company of Philadelphia is founded by Benjamin Franklin — the first lending library in America.

1836 — Wisconsin’s First Library
The first session of the Wisconsin territorial legislature takes place in Belmont and authorizes $5,000 to purchase books — the founding of the Wisconsin State Library, the state’s first library.
1843 — Platteville Academy Library
A library is established at the Platteville Academy.

1846 — State Historical Society
The State Historical Society of Wisconsin is established.
1850 — University of Wisconsin Library
The University of Wisconsin Library in Madison is established.
1872–1878 — Wisconsin Public Library Law & Milwaukee
In 1872, Wisconsin enacts a law authorizing the establishment of free public libraries, based on a similar law passed the same year in Illinois. In 1878, the Milwaukee Public Library is founded.
Argyle’s Library Founded (1880–1923)

1880–1881 — The Argyle Library Association
Argyle citizens sold stock at $4 per share to start a library. The Argyle Library Association is formed in 1881. With a $100 beginning, the association bought books and a shelf housed in the back of Dr. Thurston’s drug store.

1917 — Supporting the War Effort
Libraries throughout Wisconsin join the national effort to raise funds for books and library services for armed forces during World War I.
1923 — The Library Restarts
The Argyle Women’s Club spearheads efforts to restart the library.
The Community Building Years (1924–1965)

1924 — A New Home
Argyle resident Frank Waddington planned to build his own private library as a family memorial, but was convinced by residents to instead fund a Memorial Community Building. Campfire girls raised $66 through door-to-door donations; the Women’s Club donated $30. With $100, the library reopened in the Rossing building. The Village paid the first three months’ rent, and a library board was established.
1925–1926 — Taking Root
The library moves to a 260 sq ft room upstairs in the community building (now the Argyle Police Department office). In 1926, Argyle Village appropriates $250 toward the library — the start of continuous municipal support, interrupted only briefly during the Depression when the Frank Waddington estate and Argyle Women’s Club fundraisers carried the load. A visiting librarian from the Wisconsin Library Commission, “Miss Fair,” offers guidance. Board members: Mrs. Berget, Professor Fogo, Mr. Gaskill, Mrs. Mabelle Darrow.
1927–1928 — Community Generosity
Alice Setivate donates new curtains for the library (1927). Library magazine subscriptions total $17.15 for seven titles: American Girl, Boys Life, Good Housekeeping, Literary Digest, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Women’s World (1928).
1931–1939 — Depression and Persistence
Board members in 1931: Mrs. Ervine Gilbertson (President), Mrs. WV Baker (Secretary), Mrs. Holzman, Mr. La Vasson, Mr. Thompson. In 1932, the State Bank of Argyle closes its doors, costing the library its checking account balance of $62.28 plus special accounts of $25.00. In 1939, non-resident users are charged $1 per year for library services.
1939–1960 — Library Directors
Cordelia Holmen serves as Library Director from 1939 to 1950. Mrs. Glen Gordee follows in 1955. In 1960, Minnie Hawley becomes director, also serving on the board alongside Ms. Eva Monson.
1942–1960 — Board Rosters
Board members 1942: Mrs. Howard Johnson, Mrs. A. Rossing, Principal CF Thompson, Mrs. J McGinnity. Board members 1951: Elise Zeilesdorf, Minnie Greenwood, Bertha Mueller. Board members 1956: Mrs. Elise Ross, Miss Eva Monson, Miss Bertha Mueller.
1959 — Library Service Center
The State Library Commission establishes a Library Service Center in Fennimore.
1960 — Joining a Library Consortium
Argyle joins a library consortium.
1961–1964 — Continuing Leadership
Library Directors: Mrs. Violet Guildhaug / Hendrickson (1961), Mrs. Everett Hanson (1962), Mrs. Michael Flanagan (1964).
A Library Grows (1966–2009)
1966 — Move & Remodel
The library closes throughout January for remodeling. It then moves from its upstairs location to its current downstairs location in the Community Building.

1968 — Argyle Atlas Archive
Mr. Novinksi, editor of the Blade-Atlas, offers the complete file of the Argyle Atlas newspaper since its inception to be permanently housed at the Argyle Public Library.

1969 — Typewriter
A typewriter is purchased for use by library staff.
1970–1971 — Open Hours & Staff
Library open hours: Tuesdays 2–5 pm & Fridays 7–9 pm (1970). Staff member: Shelly Jo Meyer (1971).
1972 — Board Members
Board members: Mrs. Richard Hunter, Mrs. Kermit Watkins, Mrs. Bertha Mueller, Mr. Bredeson, Mr. Gerald Olson.
1974–1975 — Collections & Wages
After months of deliberation, the board decides to purchase the Compton’s Encyclopedia (1974). Librarian wages are raised to $3.00 per hour (1975).

1975 — Audio-Visual Equipment
With a $1,000 federal grant, the library acquires a cassette player, record player, and headset. The remaining balance is used to purchase cassettes and records.
1979 — Board Members
Board members: Eleanor Pederson, Diane Waage, and Wilma Hain.
1980s — Talking Books
“Talking books” become available for loan.
1990 — Statewide Library Coverage
Florence County becomes the last county in the state to become part of the public library system.
1991 — Board & Community Events
Board members: Virginia Hodgson (President), Marian Auestad, Kay McDonald, Anne Emery. Millie Kammerude attends a “know-your-library” event with Laverne Kammerude’s paintings on display — 60 people attend.
1995 — A Long Service Honored
Helen Disrud, library assistant, retires.
2002 — Community Building Renovation
The Community Building is renovated and the library space is expanded.
2009 — Director Retires; Leadership Transitions
Jackie Whitmar, library director for 41 years, retires. Michelle Bruehlman serves as interim library director.
Looking Forward (2010–Present)
2010 — Library Director
Carol McDaniel becomes library director.
2011–2012 — Community Programs
Lit Fit, a junior high book group, meets (2011). The first annual April Smart Money Week is commemorated by Lafayette County libraries (2012).
2014 — Library Director
Sarah Kyrie becomes library director.

2015 — Community Knit Project
The first annual Argyle Community Knit project completes a scarf for the school Turtle.
2016 — Planning for the Future
The Argyle-Adams Fire Department and Argyle EMS jointly acquire the lot north of the Argyle EMS building for a future building site.
2017 — Service Recognized
Dorothy Dammen, longtime library staff member, retires.
2021 — Building Committee Formed
In the summer of 2021, the library board forms a Building Committee with the mission to move the library into a fully accessible space to better serve all patrons. Many of the 15 committee members tour other southwestern Wisconsin libraries that recently built or remodeled facilities to learn from their experience.
2022 — Friends of the Library Founded
In April 2022, the Friends of the Argyle Public Library form as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization to support the search for a new library space and provide ongoing support for library projects and programs. In June 2022, FEH architect Christy Monk visits Argyle and presents her first plan for moving the library forward into a new space.
2023 — Site Planning
In June 2023, the Three-way Committee engaged Delta 3 Engineering to design a new facility for the Fire Department, EMS, and a community meeting room. In July 2023, the Library Board of Trustees approved engaging FEH Design to evaluate and provide specific costs for three potential sites to assist the board with its decision.
2025 — Library Director
Bailey Watson becomes library director.